San Francisco 49ers: 10 Potential Replacements For Mike Singletary

« Prev
1 of 13
Next »
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse the slideshow
San Francisco 49ers: 10 Potential Replacements For Mike Singletary
Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

Mike Singletary is not a dumb man. Call him a poor head coach, call him a stubborn play caller, call him an fossil who still believes in caveman football, but he can't be stupid enough to think his job is safe with a 4-7 record.

The 49ers came into the season with what seemed like an 80 percent chance of winning the division. This chance is now closer to 20 percent at best.

At one point, when the 49ers were 0-5, Jed York texted to ESPN "we're going to win the division."

Naturally, this made most of the country laugh. It made many 49ers fans embarrassed. And it made Mike Singletary feel the pressure, for if Mike could make good on Jed's promise, then they would all become geniuses with near psychic foresight, and escape the cloud of laughing and pointing that poured misery on them.

The season continued with mixed results, and just when a savior seemed found in Troy Smith (who led the team to back-to-back wins over Denver and St. Louis), they suffered their first shutout at home since the pre-Walsh era.

Of course, the 49ers then came back to deliver a blowout to the Cardinals in Glendale, the first one-sided victory the 49ers have had all year.

Mike Singletary's odds of staying on as head coach are as slim as the 49ers odds of making the postseason.

It's likely that if (when) the team is mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, Mike Singletary will be eliminated from the 49ers' coaching staff.

Living on a prayer of blind faith, they should hope this doesn't happen. Hope that the 49ers win the division. Hope for a playoff win (or two!) while were at it. Hope Coach Singletary gets another year to prove his moxie.

Hope for an optimistic best, but prepare for a realistic worst.

Begin Slideshow »

Follow San Francisco 49ers from B/R on Facebook

Follow San Francisco 49ers from B/R on Facebook and get the latest updates straight to your newsfeed!

San Francisco 49ers

Subscribe Now

By signing up for our newsletter, you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

Thanks for signing up.