Manchester United are reportedly set to open talks with Monaco regarding the "imminent transfer" of Djibril Sidibe.
According to Le 10 Sport (h/t the Mirror), United are in the market for a new full-back, with Luke Shaw, Daley Blind and Matteo Darmian expected to depart this summer. Sidibe is said to have been identified as a worthy candidate to come in.
The Premier League outfit want a deal done before the start of the FIFA World Cup on June 14 and, as such, will begin talks with Monaco soon.
Sidibe has split his time between right-back and left-back at Monaco, but he would not appear to be a natural fit under Jose Mourinho.
The United boss appears to want to curb his full-backs' attacking instincts—at the very least, he seems to want to with Shaw, per Samuel Luckhurst of the Manchester Evening News:
Luke Shaw's positive intent with having a shot at goal results in Mourinho racing to the touchline and giving him a rollocking. Didn't want to him to go that far forward. #mufc— Samuel Luckhurst (@samuelluckhurst) May 10, 2018
However, Sidibe's biggest strength is his ability to contribute going forward, marauding up the flank with pace and power.
His runs have rewarded him with three goals and eight assists in all competitions this season.
If Mourinho wants to put the same demands on him that he has on Shaw, whose defensive ability he has publicly criticised, the 25-year-old would be a bizarre choice.
For all of Sidibe's attacking contributions, his defensive capability has been an issue during his time at Monaco.
Ligue 1 experts Rich Allen and Andrew Gibney gave their take on the France international:
I mean if Manchester United think Djibril Sidibe is the solution to their full back problems (especially at left back), then good luck to them. Monaco will be out to, rightfully, rinse them dry!— Rich Allen (@rich_allen85) April 6, 2018
Very good going forward. Not a defender, definitely not a left-back.— Andrew Gibney 🦄 (@Gibney_A) April 7, 2018
Unless United plan to utilise him further forward, Sidibe is not the man to resolve their full-back issues or replace those likely to move on.
What's more, Monaco are said to want even more than the £52 million Manchester City paid them for Benjamin Mendy last year. That would be an astonishing amount to pay for Sidibe, even in today's market, particularly given his struggles with defensive discipline and positioning.